Okay, seriously dorky title. First thing that came to mind – not joking. High School Musical should definitely leave my memory, now!
Even though it is sort of relative…High School Musical, senior year – since Tuesday was my first day of senior year
But anywho, I’m here to assure all of you lovely readers that I have not vanished or stopped cooking – instead, I’ve been so busy.
With what, you might ask? Here’s a visual:
Homework from my first day of senior year!
Too bad these classes are fascinating! I just don’t always appreciate the 20-pound textbooks I had to carry home, but I think we’ll become good friends
That’s right – 25 page bio outline, 10 page econ outline, an essay to read and annotate and write an essay on, an article to find, driver’s ed papers to finish, and more bindahs to get.
Question: What did you wish you knew before your senior year of high school?
My answer would be:
- That I would actually get this far. It’s crazy! In kindergarten, I would think to myself, ughhhh 12 more years of school?! But…
- Time flies. It truly does. I don’t know where the years went – it seems like only yesterday I was freaking out about getting my 3 pages of homework done in the fourth grade.
- Boys should treat you well and not have boobs as the first thing on their minds. I think this pretty much goes along with common sense, but as any naive, young girl does, I wanted the boys I liked to like me back. So we have all had some time where we’ve tried to be more beautiful, bigger-boobed, or just different to get a boy’s attention – but it’s not worth it. No boy is. If he’s a good guy, he’ll love you for you. I’ve learned this the hard way – through many bad boyfriends and a couple of good ones.
- High school changes people. I’ve seen people become consumed in the high school dynamic, doing anything for attention, getting too drunk, doing something stupid, getting too stressed over school, not getting enough sleep, and throwing friendships away on a whim. Don’t be that person. Stick to your values, be good to yourself, and remember the important things in life – love, loyalty, and friendship.
- You first, always. Many people say “family first” or “school first”, but if you don’t take care of yourself, nothing else in your life will follow. Get your sleep, eat well, get in some exercise (for your body and for stress relief), and then attend to the rest of your life. Especially if that means setting a cut-off time for yourself. My most useful habit has been setting a bed time for myself – 10 on school nights. That’s the time I would say, self, it’s time for you to get your sleep. Because one of the most important things I’ve learned is that if I’m not rested and don’t have something nutritious in my tummy, there is no way that the extra 3 hours I forced myself to study is going to make any difference. Zoning out during a test is no good when you can be well-rested and knock out the answers that clearly don’t make sense! Sleep and nutrients are magical things.
So, back to my first day!
How did I get through this? First day of school power brekkie
Half of a Plum Pie Katebar (recipe to come in another post) mixed in ooey-gooey style with my buckwheat, topped with bluebs and blackburries – a pear and cherries on the side.
Aweee, baby pear! How cute
We also had some Ethiopian food, courtesy of my favorite local vegan restaurant, leftover from my lunch date with my sister on her first day of freshman year
There may have been a few of my Signature Oatmeal Cookies (on cacao-cinnamon-raisin crazy juice) in the mix… (p.s. recipe to come in another post )
Ohhhh dang. I may have had a few of these….
That’s all for now lovies! More pictures (and the previously mentioned recipes! get excited, people) to come, including a certain Butternut Squash Soup of mine that is slightly famous in my family, as well as a homemade Lentil Vegetable Soup, Hot Chocolate, and a kasha recipe
See you later tonight!
p.s. I got my senior portraits taken today! Many thanks to Cialone Photography, I will have the beautiful pictures in exactly 3 weeks…ahh, I can barely wait!!