Can I just say I REALLY miss being tan? Now I am paper-white, and I used to be Africano. I’m not joking.
…..oh. Hi, Casper, ever heard of the sun?
If you want to see (hilarious) pictures of me, you can see my entries for a vegan fashion show I entered over the summer.
I miss being a beachy blonde bronzy girl!
Sunshine, please come back to me?! It’s been MUCH too long, and I do not believe in paying for skin cancer (aka tanning beds).
Sunshine and I are a magical match made in heaven.
Dang, I am all up on the alliteration today!
Anywho, the title of this post is due to the fact that I’ve had a redonkulously awesome day.
This morning I woke up to a SILENT house (I am a morning freak and I love having the wondrous morning hours to myself, aka talking to my dog and eating copious amounts of cookie dough). Then, I checked my Droid (aka my baby) to find that I had won a cookbook that I cannot WAIT to review for you guys!! Slash I don’t think you guys understand how big of a deal this is…I never win anything. I am so excited for this one, I had been dying to buy it but now it is mine fo free:)
Then, after my glorious morning, I had a college interview with the sweetest lady in the world and we talked for hours and hours (okay, an hour and a half) about public health, nutrition, the food industry, the U.S. government and all of the stupid lobbyists, hiking, and hot chocolate. Love. Her. During said interview, I sipped on a delicious cup of tea from sbux and I don’t even know what kind of herbal tea it was but I don’t ask, I just drink (okay that sounded bad).
As soon as the interview ended, my Dad was waiting for me with a big ol’ smile and said he had an email he wanted me to read that would make me very happy. Did Grandma send me money? Uh, no, he said. Instead, it was an email announcing my first college acceptance! Holllllaaa at me girls! I am so happy because this school is one of my top choices. However, I will not disclose the name of the school until further acceptances and decisions have been made:) Until then, I will tell you that it will be SUPER easy for me to go for a jog on beautiful trails, hike a mountain (or three), get some yummy veg (and raw!) eats, and buy groceries from local co-ops and natural food stores so I can cook for myself. Oh, and I would be majoring in nutrition and doing lots of undergrad research.
Any guesses?! I might just tell you if you’re right;)
So, why did I tell you about my awesome morning, loot, and college acceptance? Not only because I love to talk about myself:) but also because I believe that everything in life happens for a reason, with a plan, and is also greatly determined by karma. One of my favorite mantras is:
I’m a strong believer in karma. What goes around comes around. Be graceful and wise in all that you do, and the world will return the favor.
And in case you were wondering, yes I did make that up, and I know I am a genius. Okay maybe not a genius, but I live by this principle.
And I’m pretty sure my day has been amazing so far because I had an indulgent Indulgence Friday🙂
It started off with a Cookie Dough Bowl (recycled photo, I’m lazy I know).
Continued with Ethiopian food, which is served on a giant piece of bread. It is called Injera and is addictingly delicious, we brought home approximately 12 rolls of it, I kid you not. By the way it is amazing with almond butter and jam, it is like a sweet and sour delicious sticky mouthful (get your mind out of the gutter people!). Oh, and you eat the food with your hands. I love permission to make even more of a mess than usual:)
Chickpeas, lentils, collard greens, cabbage, and a small salad of tomato and onions atop a hugh jass piece of injera. Oh and we had two baskets of the stuff. Did I mention we have a lot of injera in our fridge?
What goes around comes around? I completely agree. Especially when it comes around in the form of Gluten-Free Raspberry Amaretto Cookies.
I guess it’s true that you really do make your own happiness.
Gluten-Free Raspberry Amaretto Cookies
Adapted from my Gluten-Free Orange-Cranberry Cookies
- 1/3 cup almond flour (also called almond meal)
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened, natural)
- 1/4 NuStevia Baking Blend (or your sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. almond extract
- 1/4 cup slivered or chopped almonds (I used slivered)
- 1/4 cup chopped raspberries
- 3 tbsp. or more Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze (or milk of choice)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a cookie sheet.
- Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl, dry ingredients in a larger one.
- Pour wet into dry and mix thoroughly. Dough will seem dry but keep stirring! If it is still too dry, add milk or liquid of choice by the tablespoon until it reaches a doughy consistency.
- Gently fold in almonds and raspberries.
- Scoop by the tablespoon onto your cookie sheet and flatten slightly with your hand (running your skin under water first usually helps to avoid sticking).
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the outside is dry enough to touch. I prefer these still squishy on the inside when leaving the oven. It allows for a firm outside with a doughy, moist filling.
All I have to say is that this has to be the most scrumdiddlyumptious recipe I’ve ever concocted. I would describe to you every delicious flavor in this doughy deliciousness, but that would take too long so I am just going to tell you to make these. Don’t even question it, just do it.
If you need further persuasion, know that I ate four and a half of these babies last night, then had to freeze the rest or else they would have been gone.
I am the COOKIE MONSTA🙂 Do not get me near a cookie jar or it will be empty in approximately 2.41 seconds flat. Don’t look so surprised. There’s a reason I cook so much!
(p.s. sorry for the awesome photography, fluorescent lighting is not my friend)
That’s all for now dearies!
My plan for the rest of the day?
- Learning everything the college I got into.
- Doing my Stat project (it’s due at noon on a Sunday, how does that even happen?!)
- Working out
- Making and eating pizza. A lot of it:)
Coming up soon on the bloggity blog:
- Tonight, a recipe for Gluten Free Pizza for One because it is VEGAN PIZZA DAY!! Uh, a whole holiday dedicated to eating pizza? I’m down!
- Reviews on Black Swan (holy shiznits) and The Social Network. I saw two awesome movies in one day and I daresay my brain might explode. Can I just say I wish I had swan wings? I’m pretty sure it would bring all the boys to the yard. Who wouldn’t dig a girl that can
How do you stay bronzy beautiful in the winter? Or if you’re pale like me, we can bond over our pastiness and go to the Caribbean:)
My bronzer is not sufficient any more. If you pay for the trip to the sunny countries, I will pay you back in smiles and natural highlights:)
How did you celebrate Indulgence Friday?
Uh, by eating food with my hands off of a giant piece of bread, and then eating a lot of cookies. Indulgence Friday = celebrated.
What’s your favorite kind of cookie?
I love the classic choco chip, but lately I’ve been digging the more elegant combos like orange-cranberry🙂