As you know from my last post, I ran my first 5K today! It was so fun, challenging, and left me with a monster appetite.
And since it’s Sunday, it had to be a Sunday Brunch – no no, just plain ol’ brekkie would not cut it today (even though my brekkies are never ever plain..it’s the best meal of the day! I like to live it up).
Lately it’s been chilly chilly! I’m talkin’ 60 degrees. I love this weather so much. The crispness of autumn is one of my favorite things – it makes me want to cozy up by the fire with some apple cider, pumpkin pie, and watch Halloween and Thanksgiving movies like Hocus Pocus (which I watched last night! couldn’t help myself) and Halloween Town (I am obsessed with this movie. childhood favorite).
Plus, who doesn’t want to jump around in a pile of leaves?! I would any day
So, this was inspired by my absolute love for autumn and the weather change – it was nostalgic and delicious.
Isn’t it amazing how food, its taste, its smell, its textures…can bring back so many memories? That’s one of my favorite parts about food – it’s an experience; a work of art.
So, I came home and made these babies
Pumpkin Apple Cinnamon Pancakes Mmmmm.
Topped generously with almond buttah, Apple Spread, bluebs, blackburries, and cherries on the side. I love my berries And cherries. Very cherry…it all rhymes! I should be a poet..
It was the perfect post-race fuel. My muscles (and my tummy!) were incredibly happy
Ohhh yes. At this point, they smell amazing Flippage!
The first few:
And now, the goods.
Pumpkin Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Makes 6 servings
- 2 2/3 cups spelt flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp. NuStevia Baking Blend (or agave, maple syrup, suga, whatever floats your boat! this one’s my fave)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (or mashed sweet potato/any other sweet orange tuber/squash)
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (I roll with rice milk)
- 1 large, or 2 small/medium, apples (cored and chopped tiny)
- Mix pumpkin, apple pieces, and non-dairy milk in a small bowl. Mix all other ingredients in another, larger bowl.
- Combine wet and dry in the largest bowl, then heat a large skillet (whatever one you like for pancakes) over medium-high heat and spray with canola oil (or whatever oil you roll with, it’s cool!).
- Pour into pan with a large spoon or ladel, and be sure to spread out these pancakes! The batter will be thick, so spreading by hand is important so they cook all the way through.
- Flip once there are lots of bubbles around the edges and on top/in the middle and the edges begin to brown. Be sure to re-spray the pan in between flips – we don’t want any stuck pancakes!
- Cook until both sides are well-cooked and browned to your liking, then serve warm
Tips on How to Eat a Pancake:
Yes, these tips are fo’ real.
- With maple syrup, agave nectar, your fave liquid sweetener
- Topped with Banana Soft Serve!
- Slathered with almond buttah, various nut butters, Earth Balance
- With Apple Spread :]
- Sprinkled (or covered) with raisins, other dried fruit, various fruits including berries, more chopped apples, tropical fruits…go crazy!
- As a brekkie-style PB&J: spread your fave nut buttah (mine’s almond) and apple spread, or sliced apples/pears, between two pancakes and eat like a sammie! That’s what I like to call: pro. Pancake champ!
Question: What’s your favorite way to eat a pancake?
Mine would definitely have to be the way I rolled today – tons of almond buttah, apple spread, and fresh fruit :] Alllll the way!
Time for me to go make din din, lovlies! It’s leftovers from last night, about which I have yet to post – expect more food porn and lots of recipes later tonight
On the agenda tonight we have:
- Din din!
- Watching Alice in Wonderland (the new one! holllla. but defs will not be as good on my tv as it was in the theater – 3D baby!)
- Reading Beowulf We’ll see.
- Going to bed! Sleep is the best
See you after dinner!